Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My First Mavericks Game (and Escalator Ride!)


Recently, we shared tickets with another Behind Every Door property, Willow Pond, and we were able to take a total of nine children to a Mavericks Playoff Game.  For most of the children, it was their first experience at a professional sporting event.

One of the third graders in the Village Oaks Community Center was one of four children selected to attend our special field trip to the Mavericks Playoff Game.  For this child, the Game itself took a backseat to the escalator ride on the journey to our seats.

All of sudden I heard the highest pitched, excitement-filled shriek come out of the young lady standing next to me as we approached the escalator in front of us.


"EEEEEEEEEEEK! Ms. Jayda! Oh my gosh! I've never been on one of these before! EEEEEEEEEEK!"

Thinking as fast as I could and talking through my chuckle, I had to quickly ????????

As we approached the next escalator, I heard, "EEEEEEEEEEK! Oh my gosh, Ms. Jayda! Another one!!! EEEEEEEEEEK!"

Three levels later, I got the hearing back in my left ear!!  What a night!  I got asked questions like, "So, Ms. Jayda, the first one to 100 wins?" And, every time the timeout buzzer went off, I was asked, "Ms. Jayda, is the game over?  But, the best question of the night came at halftime: "Ms. Jayda, can I go get on the escalator again?"

The Mavs won 101-89...Go Mavs!

-- Jayda Ekundayo