Friday, September 23, 2011

The Nickel Club

“Can I have a dollar for a soda?”  I hear that almost every day.  My reply is always, “I work hard for my money and I expect you to work hard for your money, too.”

And then there is the reading problem!  Reading with accuracy is a missing link in most kid’s educational process.  They come to an unfamiliar word, sound out the first couple of letters, and then guess - almost always incorrectly - throwing off comprehension.  Getting them to slow down and use word attack skills for the entire word has proved to be a difficult task.

Thus, The Nickel Club was born.  The kids sign up to read with us, and with each unfamiliar word to which they apply attack skills and conquer, they receive a nickel.  We make a big deal about counting out their nickels in front of their friends.  Now I have kids begging me to read with them.

And now, they can work hard for their money by joining the Nickel Club.

-- Suzanne Wallace