Friday, March 16, 2012

Oh Well!

If we put the victories on our blog, I guess it is only fair to also post the less than glorious events.  Last week was the worst-ever “Big WOWs,” which is the middle school / high school girl’s Bible Study.

I thought it was a fairly simple concept...and an encouraging one.  I explained about when we receive Christ as our Savior and Lord, the Holy Spirit comes to live within us to empower us to obey the commands of God.

After the first explanation, I looked up to see every set of eyes giving new definition to “a deer in the headlights.”

“Do you understand?” I asked.  Every head shook a slow negative response.  “Ok,” I continued, trying to add a chipper tone.  “Let me explain it another way."

The second round offered no improvement on the zombie stares.  At this point I got animated, desperate to rouse them from their clueless stupor.  I ended with a terse, straightforward summary.  “Here is my point.  The Holy Spirit of God comes to live inside you when you receive Jesus to help you do what God wants you to do.  Ok.  Who can tell me what my point is?” An eager hand raised, along with my hopes that the simple truth had finally soaked in past the braided hair.  “It’s good to read the Bible,” the hand raiser said, with a smile of accomplishment.

“I have a good idea,” I responded. “Let’s go eat pizza.”

You win some.  You loose some!

-- Suzanne Wallace