Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Grandpa


"Hey Grandpa!"

That is what one of the elementry girls calls me. "You're my Grandpa," she says!

I didn't know how to take that. I always pictured an old, white haired man as Grandpa.  But, as I was at home thinking about being a Grandpa at the young age of 34, I realized that her comment was a compliment.  One thing I can remeber about my Grandpa is the wisdom he passed on to me.  He was the one who spoiled me and taught me a lot of what I know today.  He is a huge part of who I am.

I sat there thinking...a lot of the kids we work with grow up without a father.  Most come from single mother homes with no male role model.  Then, you go back a generation and see that a lot of these kids' parents grew up in single mother homes with no father.  These kids are not only fatherless, but Grandfatherless.

I never had a Father to teach me.  One thing I cherish in my life is the Grandfather I did have.  Today I am honored to be looked at by this youg girl as Grandpa.

-- Rickey Fanning