Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Real Men - Gift of Contentment

One of the things we have decided in regards to the gatherings of the "Real Men" is that we don't always want to come with the time together planned out. This can allow for maybe a little more laughter, candid conversation, spontaneity, and so forth.

So, this week the plan was to not have a plan. I asked them what was going on in their lives and we laughed a little. We talked about some upcoming activities and events as well.

Then, I said, "If you wanted to ask me a question about something, what would it be?"

One of the boys immediately raised his hand and asked me why his mother would buy things for other people and not for him and his brother. The question was clearly at the top of his mind.

His question led us to a wonderful conversation where I described the gift of contentment and thankfulness. I told the boy that he is not responsible for what his mother does...but that he can choose to be content and thankful no matter what he has. I told them that even if/when they get their own car...they will be driving down the street and constantly see nicer cars. They are into cars...so I used that example.

Contentment and thankfulness. These are good gifts of God and my prayer is that as these young boys grow, physically and in character, they receive them!

--Dean Wilson