Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The "Real Men" of Willow Pond


Our meeting of the "Real Men" of Willow Pond yesterday centered on girls. Listening over the last few months, I decided this topic was appropriate and timely.

I began the discussion by saying, "Boys, someday you are going to think a girl is cute." The giggling suggested they had experienced this already.

I outlined the "best" strategy and discussed each of the below 4 steps:

1.Friendship

2.Courtship

3.Marriage

4.Procreation (this was a new word for them...however "sex" was certainly not a new word)

I made a drawing of a family tree...outlining what it could be for each of them. I would bet dollars to donuts that not one of the boys had seen, or even considered, a family tree. I started at the top with Deldrick, one of the boys. I said, "Deldrick's new nickname is 'Deldrick the Patriarch .'" I placed him and his wife at the top of the new family tree...with 4 kids of their own. Then those kids have kids (and it is now "Deldrick the Grandfather")...and those kids have kids. And now we have great-grandson named Deldrick the fourth (Deldrick IV!). They got a huge kick out of this.

The conversation broadened to "what is courtship?," "how do you know the girl is the one?"...and on and on....they asked lots of questions!

At one point I asked, "Raise your hand if you know who invented sex?" The young boy to my right answered, " George Washington ?" And he was really serious. Hey...he is the "father" of our country!

We discussed God creating sex and "real men" being the young men who are responsible and make the right decisions....and that the above #1 through #4 is the best plan. It was a wonderful time together. I have a feeling the conversation will continue for many weeks and months ahead.

--Dean Wilson