Friday, June 18, 2010

The Story of Bill

Made another new friend today at Willow Pond.  His name is Bill...lives around the corner from the basketball court.  I asked him to tell me his story...and so he did.  A few highlights:

Bill was born in a rural town in Texas...I can't remember the name.  I said "where is that?"  He said, "I have no idea."  I got the feeling it was not necessarily a booming metropolis. 

On Monday, June 21, he and his wife will celebrate their 14th wedding anniversary.  Met at the grocery store where she worked.  "Love at first sight?" I asked.  "Oh yes."  He proposed to her in a church sanctuary.

I asked him if he knew God.  "Yep," he said, like he was talking about an old friend.  "Met him quite a few years ago." 

"What do you like about Him?"

"He is always there.  Never leaves nor forsakes you.  You know when you call someone you can get a busy signal?  He is never too busy."

I asked him how he met God.  "My friend kept talking about 'church'....I thought he was talking about chicken (referring to Church's Chicken restaurant).   But I kept seein' these smiling people comin' out of the church building.  So I started to go."

Then he told me about his baptism.  "I thought the fella was gonna drown me!"

--Dean Wilson