Friday, July 9, 2010

Miracle at Willow Pond

I work closely with Rickey Fanning at Willow Pond.  In addition to working with the kids, I spend a fair amount of time caring for the women who live at Willow Pond.  About two months ago, I made a new friend named Hattie outside the Community Center.  Hattie has rheumatoid arthritis, and for several years she has been unable to write or use her hands to do many things.  I prayed that God would heal my new friend's hands, and He did. Hattie went home the night we met and wrote a long letter to her son, who she had not been able to communicate with in some time.

I saw Hattie several weeks later at the McDonald's across the street from the apartments. I was there with some of the kids, and she was there with another resident, Jacqueline. As I approached them, Hattie held up a fist and said, "you better watch out.  I could knock you out." Surprised at the comment, I asked her why she said that. She laughed and said, "I haven't been able to make a fist in years, but ever since you prayed for me I can make one and my hand is getting stronger and stronger." Hattie turned to Jaqueline and said, "for years I have been signing my name with an X because it was too difficult to sign my name.  But now I am writing all the time. God is awesome!"

-- Suzanne Wallace