Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Privilege to Help

I had the privilege to invite three of the Real Men of Willow Pond to the Father's House. Roddrick, Curtis, Charles, and I ate pizza, played video games, and swam.  The boys also went to church with me.  Church began with singing, and I told the boys they did not have to sing if they did not want to.  Roddrick, Curtis, and Charles chose to draw during the singing with one of the other kids in our church.

Rainbows, animals, and cars were among some of the pictures, but what caught my eye was what Curtis and Charles were drawing.  Curtis had drawn "We, Us, Jesus" on his paper. Charles had drawn "We (Heart) Jesus" on his paper.

 

After the service, the boys came to Sunday School.  I was teaching, and we talked about the fruit of the Spirit and Love.  We went through 1 Corinthians 13 and how we could each apply it to our life.  Quickly, all of the kids in the class were involved in the conversation.

The next day at Kids Club, Roddrick told me that his brother, Charles, wanted to change and follow Jesus.  Suzanne found Charles to ask why he wanted to follow Jesus.  Charles replied, "I want to live a good life.  I don't want to keep doing the bad things I do."

Wow!  Charles and I have begun to read and discuss Psalms during the reading time in the Community Center at Willow Pond.  I can see the hunger in Charles to change.  I can see his desire to grow up.  And, I can see the importance of having someone in your life, who with the help of God, can show you how to do that.  I feel privileged.

-- Rickey Fanning