Monday, February 14, 2011

Get a Hold of Yourself!

On a recent Friday, the kids were more rambunctious than usual during our weekly Kids Club meeting.  One thing we are teaching at Kids Club is to show respect when other people are talking by being quiet.

When the children are not quiet, we simply stop the meeting.  We communicate that this is not our time, but their time, and we are happy to spend the afternoon sitting quietly if that is how they want to spend it.  Even if we have to wait until Kids Club closes.

This particular Friday, getting the kids to be quiet was challenging.  We were already ten minutes in to waiting for quiet to come when one of the loudest boys looked at me and said, "Come on already!"

I asked him to go in the bathroom, look in the mirror, and ask the reflection of himself to "Come on already!"

A few minutes later, I heard a loud voice coming from the bathroom.

"Come on! Get a hold of yourself!"

When he came back in, I was trying to hold back my laughter.  I asked him if everything was alright and if he was ready to continue.  He said yes, sat down and the meeting continued.

I love these kids!  Never a dull moment...

-- Rickey Fanning