Friday, February 18, 2011

My name's... I Don't Cuss.

We have each child involved in our Kids Clubs create what we call a Life Card.  The Life Card consists of seven character qualities that the child sees in them self or would like to see in them self.

We have a six-year-old at Willow Pond who comes to the Kids Club every day to work on his homework.  At the door, before he signs in, he recites his Life Card:

"Hi, my name is...  I don't cuss.  I respect other people's property.  I don't hit people.  I want to be a good person..."

This child has memorized his qualities faster than any other kid in the Willow Pond Kids Club.  When he makes a mistake, we go to his Life Card to remind him of the type person who he is.  He is beginning to believe about himself the things he wrote down.

Recently, this kid's father and grandmother commented about the change that they have seen in him at home and at school.  With great gratitude they thanked us for all that we are doing for him.  And, we thank God for the change He is bringing about in our friend's life.

-- Rickey Fanning