Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Who Turned On the Light?

You might have seen a recent blog post written by Jayda titled "Queen Esther."  For weeks, Jayda and I have both asked our friend to change her signature from "gutter girl" to "Queen Esther."  I want to update you on the friend from that story.

This friend has been coming to my church with Suzanne to attend children's church.  I was preparing for the children's class in the back of the room when our friend came up to me.  “Mr. Rick, I am angry,” she said.  I asked her why?  “I just saw something on a guys phone that really made me mad,” she replied.

I looked at her and responded, “I think God is trying to show you something.”  I was met with a blank stare, and after a long pause she asked, “What do you mean?"

“Well you saw something on his phone that offended you, right?”  She nodded.  “That is how we feel every time we see 'gutter girl' at the end of your text messages to us," I said.  "I am offended when I see my friend talked about that way.  I think God is trying to show you that sometimes we do or say things without ever really thinking about who it might offend.” 

She let out a short sigh and an “oh,” and I saw a light bulb go off.

-- Rickey Fanning