Friday, February 17, 2012

Beyond Boundaries

The effect of what we do at Behind Every Door goes beyond the boundaries of the apartment complexes where we serve.  Children come from the surrounding apartments to our afternoon Kid’s Club.  Kids who move away still find a way to get here.

Sunday morning, I received a call from a boyfriend of one of our former Kid’s Club members who has moved far south.  He, his mother and brother wanted to go to church with us.  "Of course!" we said.

During the service, someone spoke some words to this mom that they believed were from God.  “I got a picture of you with light emanating from you,” this person said to the mom. “I believe that is something God has for you and is inviting you into,” she continued.

At the break, the mom came to me and said, “I want to talk to you about what that lady said to me.  I used to be that way.  People used to say that I just glowed all the time.  I was walking with God.  But then I started indulging in things that I shouldn’t, and hanging around negative influences.  It has been a long time.  I want that back.”

We talked about repentance and what that would mean for her.  We talked about surrender to a loving God.  With many tears, she prayed and recommitted her life to Christ.  New life has permeated boundaries!

-- Suzanne Wallace