Friday, April 13, 2012

The God of Yet Another Chance

She has lost everything.  Again.  That means her young daughter has lost everything, too.  This time, it was her own doing.  When she was taken to jail and thus evicted, their things were put out on the curb, and the other residents made quick, vulturous work of all their belongings.

But jail can be a wonderful tool in the hands of the Lord. As I made my way through the system to try to pay her a visit, I wondered what she would say when she saw me.  I had offered a prayer time to her when she still lived at our apartments, in order to get to the bottom of some issues. She refused the offer.  Now, a few short months later, the winding journey had taken her past three apartment evictions, two school changes for her daughter, and 6 weeks behind bars.

She sat down behind the grated window and picked up the phone.  When the tears were wiped away she said repeatedly, “Every day since I have been here, I have said that I should have prayed with Ms. Suzanne.  Maybe I wouldn’t be here now.”

I can almost hear King David, who had committed adultery and murder, and Peter, who had betrayed his friend and Savior.  I can almost hear them saying, “yes, but God is the God of yet another chance.” I can hear them saying, “it is His kindness that leads us to repentance.”

Pray for my friend, that she will embrace His kindness.

-- Suzanne Wallace