Monday, July 16, 2012

Best Day of My Life

Two years ago, I met a child that was ANGRY. After I gained his trust, he and I sat down to talk about why. He knew excactly why. He said, "I am mad because my sister and my brother get to go spend time with their dads on the weekends. I haven't seen mine since I was five or six."  That day we prayed. From that day forward he and I bonded, and we continued to get the anger under control.

(I am particularly proud of this child because he has a serious speech impediment (stuttering).  Usually, children that stutter are quiet and have suppressed anger issues in addition to frustration from trying to express their feelings.  This child has never been shy.)

Two years later, last week, fourteen year old Davieuntay walked in the Community Center smiling from ear to ear.

"Ms. Jayda! This is the best day of my life!  Remember when we prayed two years ago about how I wish I could be reunited with my dad?  Remember how we prayed and prayed?"

"Yes." I replied.

"Well, I saw him last night!  I have his phone number!"

I had just taken a bite out of my tuna sandwich. The clump of bread and tuna got stuck in the back of my throat just as the emotion hit me. I couldn't speak.  I had to put my finger up as to say "hold on just a second". He stood there smiling and looked worried at the same time. It seemed like minutes, but seconds later after I cleared my throat, the tears rushed from my eyes and we both hugged and hugged and hugged.

That was one of the best days of my life, too!

-- Jayda Ekundayo